Thread: Float Shopping and Research Help!

Question Float Shopping and Research Help!

I'm in NSW and have recently sold an old 2 HSL that was made by Tuza. I'm in the market for an angle load to replace it.

My priorities are fully enclosed and lockable (for security), lockable tack storage, 2 HAL facing the outside of the road (i.e heads to the left), reliable brand/make, prefer Australian build.

My budget is around $10 000. I'm thinking second hand is the way to go. I bought my previous float privately through Gumtree; it was the first one I looked at and I didn't know very much. Since then I've learned that tack storage is vital, fully enclosed will help keep my stuff safe and the float's interior in good nick, I prefer to load onto an angle load float, the ride and handling has to be excellent as I tow on a lot of gravel roads, I want to keep noise to a minimum for my horse's sake.

As much as I'd love a new float, unless I opt for a Chinese build, it's not going to happen.

There are no float dealers anywhere near me. Private sales are hit and miss but I'm keeping an eye on Tuza, Kara Kar, PBL, Pegasus.

Please help me: what do I need to look for in a float? If I were to opt for a new one, the brands I'm considering are Peaceland, Victorian Horse Hound and Cant-A. All replies appreciated!

Hiya

Tack boxes etc are all good and handy but of utmost importance to me is safety. I bought my float 10 years ago now, and at the time looked at every single float I could at shows and the like. People are often more than happy to show off their floats. I'd ask them whats the best thing about their float. Then ask them what the worse thing is, or if they could change one thing what would it be?
    I ended up buying a Pegasus because there is an absolute bare minimum of things in there that a young or frightened horse could get themselves hooked up on. I liked the double walls for safety also. But look at things like latches, hinges, tie up areas and ask yourself could a horse who has never floated before get tangled or caught up in any way. At least that is what I did. I also liked the rocker roller suspension on the Pegasus. So the float floor theoretically stays level and the wheels bounce up and down beneath it if there are holes or bumps in the road. As far as sourcing a second hand one for that price, I really dont know. I paid a lot of money for mine. I basically had a home deposit that took years and years to save for and due to personal circumstances changing I thought hang it all...life is too short...and bought my horses a new ute and float. Good luck with your search!!!
    OakyPoke

Another thought, what is your towing car? Horse Deals has a good article this month about the cars we use to tow, weight ratios etc, which include everything in your car also..

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    Another thought, what is your towing car? Horse Deals has a good article this month about the cars we use to tow, weight ratios etc, which include everything in your car also..
    It's a 2008 4x4 Ranger dual cab. I might pick up a copy of Horse Deals and have a read.

Have a look at Crisfloats. super float and I found horses love the light airy interior! Even the fussiest, hard to load horse would load easily

Quote Originally Posted by Jcr View Post
    Have a look at Crisfloats. super float and I found horses love the light airy interior! Even the fussiest, hard to load horse would load easily
    I've never seen an angle load come up second hand. My mare won't travel in a straight load.