Thread: CASHMAN and me

Default CASHMAN and me

As you all should be aware, from many previous posts, not that anyone comes here anymore.
    I am a shithouse rider, but I stayed on top, again, lucky day they say. Shying at other horses approaching him, and cars along our road seemed to be our worst habit, and it has been there since he arrived with me. Of course I am probably to blame, as we know, but does one quit or does on spend one more effort.
    Things always happen to let me know, keep working on that problem, and of course it arose again yesterday, maybe if I saw the horse cantering too close and circling near that corner, I would have prepared myself a little better, even walked. The flies have been pissing Cashy off to no end recently, as soon as the fly mask goes off he objects to them landing near his eyes, so the head tossing had been no so fun either the past week. Anyhow. Slow motion is always an interesting way to see why my back hurts again.... and how bad a horse paddles too... I was mad as a cut rattlesnake really, but I survived, and also retired, thinking because I cantered a trot circle, blah blah and did such a good spin and run, I just needed to get him moving forward...
    Not always the place in front of the judge

anyhow- This was Test no 1 - normal speed. Interestingly the judge called it outside interference. The marks were not that nasty really, considering https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANMOYgxNkP4

Then in Slow motion, dam he can spin, I am not sure how we missed the fence... but we did, and eventually I glanced to see why.. a horse cantering very close to H and of course we still run away when in doubt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9JxkLk0osg

Oh such fun.. I am not sure he will ever change really.. but at lease we don't run 30 m now, and he doesn't buck rear or other shitty habits, and only seems to shy at other horses coming at him, ahh why?

So I sucked up all my courage and ( tried to lose the anger) and off we went again.... but will I ever go again, who knows. as they say Only time will tell I guess.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLMTY7ogy84

Then I got the do not quit award... it is a long and winding road they say.
    ONLY 4 weeks til xmas :O \\

Stay safe and I hope you are all away from fire risks.

The dentist came today, Poor Cashy is now missing C9, it had fractured, and split too, the vet said it would have been very painful, and the Horse dentist took both parts out.
    No excused for shying I suppose, but it certainly explains his recent head tossing and turning his head to me for about a week, each time I would get on, poor dumb human he knows. Hopefully when it heals he will feel a lot better .

Sorry for your dramas Cyrus. Hope Cashy gets well soon. How are things with you tho ?? How are you and your life and country ??
    Whats happening with our CH members who are suffering thru the drought ?? And I know there are lots.
    Anyone ever come here now ?? Or too busy working their way thru the conditions with no rain and dirt and dead beasts ?
    I gave up yonks ago,,,,,it ended up being the same ole same ole,,,,,,boring as,,,,,
    Interesting people were not appearing,,,,it was just the same conversation over and over,,,
    Anyway, I do hope you are OK and Cashy is well .
    Stay safe everyone,,,,

Thanks aca , life is plodding along, a few fires are springing up here, it is just so dry everywhere, we have had a about 430ml of rain all year, better than nothing. 2 dry years ( good for a laminitic Skipper. Cashy was running about toothless and happy yesterday, considering the effort it takes to remove on of those demons.... still not an excuse for the horse shyness, that's been evident from day dot here. I do hope all are well, there is just so much devastation about with the fires, just must keep praying for rain and relief from this awful drought.

Come on peeps, Chatty chook says be good neighbours too.

Cyrus you may not feel like a good rider but you haven't really given up. You dont expect every time you ride that the horse you are riding he will just plod on. Plus how boring would that be. I know of so many who if a horse does one thing wrong off they get and the horse learns bad behaviour. Cashy may have learnt this as a way to get out of work. Iam speaking from eexperience as the horse I used to ride would find excuses to shy. Where we are we have a big arena and before I rode him he was only ridden in the middle. So he would avoid the hedges and spooky corners. Yes he unseated me and pulled my muscles but over some years he became more confident and I could ride him on the outside. My Maxie also shied but that was mainly due to his lack of sight. You will end up Cyrus with tne best seat there is! I am still lerking here but like many dont often post. By the way young Alf my Chestnut is now 19 and Badget who I recently retired from english showing due to a bad knee is now 23.

Hi Cyrus, I think you sat that really well, pulled both of yourselves together and carried on. My guess is the interfering horse was too close to your arena (10 metres distance is the closest you can come to a competition arena).
    I have just attended a clinic with Manu Mclean and she gave me an interesting exercise which is designed to make the edge of the arena a non-scary place: walk from the edge to the 1/4 line then trot out to the next letter. I have to say that it does work I then went to a comp (days later) where it was windy and cold (clinic was run in about 34C) and while my gallant steed was edgy, we got an 8 for the long side - admittedly only Prep A but the last comp we attended the closest to the edge of the arena I could get was the 1/4 line!!
    Hang in there I think you're doing a great job.

Funnily enough my pony has just had 2 lower front incisors removed because they were broken and rotten (bad owner letting them get so awful.) Fortunately for him, the pain is only a minor inconvenience to eating - he's quite fat which I think given the drought is not a bad thing!!

Thanks JCR, I often say only the video will tell the real story. I had Manu lessons for about 12 years when she came to our town in Canberra, always had great advice. I am just not sure I will sit the test again, and yes the horse was almost coming at us in a circular canter, but that's really no excuse. As you say getting to an arena is an issue for me, they appear on a day you go to a comp. Really he only shies at oncoming horses, it used to be cars, above us on our paddock as well. That seems lots better these days. I am still contemplating - his tail certainly goes a lot and people say he is in pain too.. really he hates being asked to do a bit more. His tail is his weapon for anything he dislikes really. Including my white horse Skipper :O
    I have no great aims but to stay unbroken and be safe. These days the fires are consuming my thoughts more and more... please rain .. let us be free from tragedy.