Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heres to a better New Year for us all

is everyone safe out there ? who is getting rain ?

Had a wonderful drop over last weekend, then Monday, it was 21mLs in about 5 minutes! Too heavy to go in the water tanka, and washed all our remaining topsoil into the dams! Horrible! But since then nice moist drizzle, trouble is it is making it so humid!! Paddocks are starting to green up which is wonderful!
    Just can't keep everyone happy problems wth everything Haha! Simply put, it was wonderful to get rain at last.

Like so many coastal areas now, we have had over 300ml of rain. The fires are most likely out, although a person up river I met when in evac, said stumps are still burning underneath... so who really knows. Up the back where I ride finally has some decent containment lines as the fires never quite got to us, even though they made me run without undies even, thankfully it was not as bad as they thought on many occasions , but it is still devastating here ( and many other places too) Hopefully people will make it through, the rain has helped many feel better. I know having water and full tanks here makes me feel at least we could defend a normal fire. The loss of electricity is the scary bit , one generator and a fire pump might be enough.. but I still think if I am told to run, I will. Canberra memories were bad enough, but that was done and dusted in less than 3 hours, what we have been through feels like 3 years.
    Chatty Chook survived, and on the 19th Feb it will be a year since she flew over the fence and decided to camp here.
    The horses are locked in small areas and I keep mowing, kikuyu is a crazy grass. it is over taking us again

Been a sad day for me,learned one I bred, spirits only foal magic drowned in the floods along with one of his paddock mates, the only survivor was saved by Ron males grandson who spotted him clinging to timber and went out in his boat and got him to shore

So glad chatty chook is still with you

such a funny bird

so glad the fires are hopefully finally gone

It has been a tragic summer really. Hopefully people find some normality soon.

Oh mindari, I am sorry. Glad they managed to save one horse though. So dreadful to go through the fires, then lose even more with floods. It's eerily Biblical!
    Cyrus so pleased you came through relatively unscathed. Happy about Mrs Chatty Chook

Mother nature is quite a crazy lady really, but it sure reminds us all of how vulnerable we all are. I just hope people recover from the horrors they went through, and find a way to move forward from all the drought , fires and flooding rains and crazy storms, more so I hope we learn from it all too, more respect for the earth and all around us.
    What amazes me is how low human life can stoop, looting from those who have lost is just the lowest of low acts.

Cashy got a rude shock yesterday, thought I better see how hoppy he really is. My camera is reversing us, very weird, the on side is the off side.. the scenery is backwards, amazing how green it is here, just riding the mower keeps me busy, and so much grass it is like a February spring. But the swamp was amazingly dry considering we had over 300mm of rain and it flooded all through that area. It was incredibly dry though and last year we had about 430mm of rain all year, so we really had 3/4 of last yeats rain in less than a week.
    Dams are full and murky.
    Birds are happy.
    Chatty is still cruising after a year here.. moulting badly, but back to egg laying she is a bald chook really.
    Anyhow this song reflects my feelings of the horse world really... I just love horses because they are good mates, as for the rest, I am sure if I was a horse I would choose a totally different life to what most people do. I saw the worst neglect cases through evacuation, and I do hope people change one day before mother nature takes us all out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3f01snZdXQ&t=183s

Yes cyrus, this is a crazy land

all I could keep thinking was gee Dorothea Mackeller nailed it so long ago

o wow, i googled to get her name spelling and up came this, her reciting her poem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5bNhQrKay0

stay safe everyone

If you visit the little museum in the church in Patterson, near Maitland, NSW, they have a lot of stuff pertaining to Dorothea. She lived at Torryburn Stud, between Patterson and Gresford, and even tho Gunnedah claims her, most of the history they have at that museum says she wrote My Country while living at Torryburn. And they have that recording of her reciting her poem.