Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heres to a better New Year for us all

Stay safe Cyrus, stay safe everyone. Surely some of the many people who used to be active in here would have been affected. I don't know a single person who doesn't know someone who has been affected. My thoughts to you all. Mum said she thought Dwyers Creek Rd Moruya was affected at some stage.

My mum's farm at Batemans Bay was hit in early December when the Currowan fire first got going. We thought the farm house was lost one night, a neighbour rang us to say he was watching our property from over the river and it didn't look good. But next day, house was still standing, untouched. In the end we had minimal damage to fencing and a good clearing out of the undergrowth in the bush section of mum's land. Feel for the wild animals though.

She was evacuated to Ulladulla evacuation centre for a week, holed up with me and her 3 big dogs in a very tolerant hotel owner's room. The disaster relief effort and support from the community and various government agencies was an incredible privilege to experience.

After a week we'd had enough and were really worried about the horses, particularly mum's oldie, although we at least had heard they had survived. With all roads in still shut, the only way I could get in was by kayaking 18km up the river with one of my late dad's friends. What an adventure. Only to get there and find mum's oldie standing out on the green lawn at the front of the house and looking calmly at me with a look that said "I've been waiting for you a week, what took you so long?" Luckily mum had left huge containers of water all round the house to assist the firies. The 2 more able horses had buggered off through the gate left open by the firies, and went to visit the neighbour's greener pastures for a week.

We are ridiculously lucky. The very best new year wishes to all. This is by no means over yet.
    "I am... a soul in your hands..."

cybergrl, I am so very happy you have survived the dreadful fires, and the horses - kind of shows how smart they can be despite them trying to fool us!
    What a brave thing to do kayaking up the river! Good lateral thinking. Very happy for you and your mum! Stay Safe

My thoughts are with everyone in Vic and NSW. We're back to some level of normality here in SA. We only lost 40 acres of pasture as we stopped the fire front on our place (just farm units too, CFS trucks weren't here then), my mother (and her neighbour) lost her house, and also a friend (and her neighbour too) whose horses I was starting to evacuate...an ember started a fire at the start of her dead end road while we were loading the first float, when the main front was still around 15km away. Absolutely DID NOT expect to find myself driving through flames on the way out that early in the drama!!! Couldn't do anymore loads from her place but thank goodness we made the decision to lock the rest of her horses in a dirt paddock instead of letting them run free internally. They all survived completely unharmed. Many in this area did not.

We evacuated all our pets and horses early...just our cattle left behind. They came to us a few month ago as severely drought affected young station cattle from the NT, so they must have used some station knowledge to survive because they all did. We had significant flareups across the road from us over the next 24 hours which was given heaps of air support....which sent the cattle scattering across the district, but they are all back now (except 2 which are in neighbours' yards).

So many houses lost, and I don't think they are making the stock loss numbers public. Some of the stories are horrific. And that's only on our side of the fire.

What a ride, and I do not think we are over all of this yet, but I do so hope it WILL POUR and save so many from the tragedy that got some towns and people here. One day I will make my movie, we were prepared to stay, until the power went down so fast, batemans bay, Mogo, cobargo malua Bay and so much was just like the Canberra holocaust, so I ran and stayed put until today. Who would have thought we would spend New years eve all huddles into the old showground I ride in, with 2000 people, the water even stopped for a while because of the fear and crazy hosing.
    The stories kept coming, people running for their lives to the sea and sheltering there. So far our town is still sort of surrounded, the main road the Kings highway only reopened today, tourism is a main income here, people are somewhat lost.. and it just keeps happening... as I see the news now. power was out for ages, and is still out in some places.
    I had no idea how much one could try to pack into a car and caravan and a couple of saddles too..
    We made a little community there and I stayed until today as one of us had 3 rescue horses, and does not ride, they had never been too far before, and live up in the fire area, their place is still surrounded, so prayers to her , the ponies are now lots closer to town as she had no float.
    I sure hope no one here is touched by fire, as it is just heart wrenching...
    take care - I am sure looking forward to my bed and ensuite tonight and warm showers :P

So bloody relieved you’re ok Cyrus. .

It was very nice to sleep in my bed again ( not that our little old leaky van was not a home away from home) we are choking in smoke again, not much rain a few ml - Chatty chook has had her steak for breaky.. and the world goes on wanting to be normal here.. my heart bleeds for all those who lost everything, and I and others are still standing. 453 houses lost in our area, and so much more... this has to be halted by mother nature, but I know it returned me to the basics of life, and basics are good, we humans want way too much, we are greedy. My life always returns me to ground zero, because I just sold our Canberra house to our son, for half its value, so I sit here with my super returned after 5 years of doing it tougher than I was used to, but we made it easily. Then to remind me money is not everything, our south coast joined the north coast, and all the state really. Just to tell me, time to save and do the right thing, as it can be all gone in a flash.. so look after the land, care for your friends ( I wont say neighbor here as we have one who is still harassing our other neighbor whose mothers house burnt to the ground) We need a human race that is kind and caring, so stay safe everyone.
    Skipper and Cashman certainly had a busy time, and they were good mates. Cashy turned on his aggressive side in the yards, maybe we wont be horse shy anymore, we might jump out of the arena and chase them away LOL
    I also saw the greedy side of humans too, so until we all change, what can I say..

HI Cyrus
    its sure been a nightmare.
    my brother is at sanctury point and he too was cut off.

the weirdest thing, that 71 who started that fire? a friend was telling me his friend is facing court, decided to burn the grass around his house just in case,, started it and got distracted, went inside and forgot the fire he had began. next thing he knew his house was on fire. escaped only to see not content to burn is house down it then took off.

I have the weirdest feeling he is talking about the same person?

we never normaly hear how or why a charged fire starter started it.

I thought it was only someone who wanted to cause trouble......

just being old and forgetful can be in the mix too it seems

Stay safe everyone, its been a tough year and so hope this one doesn't continue the pattern for a change

Hi Mindari, that is about exactly what happened up on Araluen rd, I was trying to find what happened to him in court, supposedly to be there then . In many ways the fire that ran wild came from the Kings highway fire that jumped the highway, then took a crazy hill run through the bay and Mogo to Malua Bay and Broulee where my husband teaches surfing.. one friend walked her old horse that usually loads well to shelter in the sea. I just know I WANT rain...

Hope all stay safe between fire, hail storms, dust storms, and drought.

Exciting news, hubby rang just measured 30ml at biddon, second rain in a week, 20ml the week before.

Hope all are getting a share