Thread: Deja vu - EI

Default Deja vu - EI

I joined Cyberhorse during the great EI lockdown and it was the only thing that kept me sane some days. The worry of living in an infection hotspot and trying to keep ponies safe and fit and kids amused whilst waiting for the panic to subside and common sense to kick in.

BUT,

As an equestrian community, with help from Govt. departments, we came out the other side with a much greater understanding of the importance of biosecurity. I can remember a number of conversations with people - "I hope we learn from this", "thank god this was just EI and not something serious like Rabies or some other animal disease that could decimate our agricultural industries and standing in this world".

Hopefully now, the non-ag community will gain an understanding of the importance of our geographic isolation and understand that quarantine and biosecurity are deadly serious issues for this country and not just pay lip service, or attack our quarantine inspectors when they try to enforce important legislation. We need to do better peeps, and hopefully this may serve as a tiny wake up to the whole community - just how important our ability to feed ourselves and keep our selves safe is.

Will jump off soap box now.

so terrifyingly true

government learned zilch from the EI

SADLY............

I so agree mindari, the EI situation was so much like this except that spread on the breeze. At least this is a contact virus!
    I can't believe the govt has managed to keep Rabies out of this country, but is apparently unable to keep serious human viruses out! They knew there was a Pandemic in the making, but still allowed all and sundry into the country ( possibly the easiest country in the World to isolate!) without ANY biosecurity checks at all.

Anyway, like gas buster, vent over.

Stay safe everyone DON'T touch your faces!!

I am still in shock over the way the Govnt just allowed all and sundry to enter the country for weeks after they were aware of the virus in China ! They did nothing to secure the borders. All they seemed to focus on was sending planes to bring all those Chinese students out of the middle of the virus area back here and turn them free , without tests, to spread it around. Weeks later and still they havnt learned, and allowed thousands off infected cruise ships, to " go forth and multiply " the virus all over Aust, all the while preaching at us about isolation.
    This would have to be one of the easiest countries to isolate . Just close the borders and only allow Australians to return home , to be tested , and held in isolation until they prove negative.
    We just came home from Norfolk Island a few weeks ago. They have no virus on the island. They stopped all comers arriving,,even turned back a plane from Sydney the minute their Minister gave the order, and only locals are allowed home , to be picked up by the police and taken home to self isolate with the threat of being locked in the cells if they dare break isolation.
    I sometimes think its amazing we havnt let rabies and foot and mouth in to Australia, as slack as some of our border security is.
    Stay safe everyone.
    Just adding. We came from a virus free island and had bio security meet us as we came thru immigration , yet there are these endless plane loads of people streaming in with no checks at all and no bio people to meet them ??? Is this weird or what ???
    Last edited by acaciaalba; 28-03-20 at 10:46 AM. Reason: adding

It was never about keeping the bug out, that is impossible, we have to live with it.
    Governments everywhere are seeking to lower the infection rate to a level that can be managed by the medical system.
    We are all going to get it..there will not be a vaccine in time to stop this happening , it's just a matter of when we get a dose and if the system can care for us.
    There is a lot of community noise about prophylaxis .
    The most vulnerable among us can increase their survival chances by paying close attention to the current options.
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

Lockdown coming soon.
    Retail produce stores may stay open.
    Production of feeds and misc stuff that we all take for granted will probably slow down or stop.
    For the sake of your animals.. check your stocks of everyday vet products like bute as well as feed and buy up while you can.
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

tgh05, vets are essential services so even in worse times, you will have a vet available should you need one.

i believe produce merchants are also listed as essential - animal welfare is a factor!