Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ducks, Unicorns and Cattle dogs - excuse the language

Default Ducks, Unicorns and Cattle dogs - excuse the language

So the big girl and I still have our little battles of wills and whits which keeps us all entertained...

I have a new job, which was supposed to involve a monthly trip to Qld for 9 days each time and follow up work from home. Ducks, sorted and given strict instructions to line up and stay there, my life and family planned with military precision - if it's not on the calendar on the fridge, its not happening...
    - new car - to tow horsefloat, and for the obscene number of k's I will drive t his year
    - the junior unicorn tamer booked to ride the unicorn every second day while I was away, and twice a week while I was at home as her horse is out of action due to injury
    - 3 opportunities to qualify for state champs at Elementary level - tick
    - coach - who is very difficult to get hold of enough - booked for clinics at our house every 2-3 weeks for the first 4 months this year

Well Fuck me... someone let a cattle dog loose...there is no other way to describe the desire sit on the ground and stamp my feet - and just throw everything up in the air in shear disbelief.

Pony Club State Champs was to be in our home town, cancelled due to extreme drought - very disappointing for junior unicorn tamer who was to ride the unicorn

First competition I entered was cancelled due to heat - not entirely unexpected for early in the year - was factored in, but still disappointing
    Second competition - cancelled due to bushfires
    Third competition - my home comp- looked like being cancelled due to lack of judges - so I ran around like a looney and twisted every arm I could - obtained the required judges, and now its' cancelled due to a nasty bloody virus that only country people are taking seriously

My brand new car - been here a week, hasn't moved as my work in Qld has been cancelled, and is now phone or email only.

Add insult to injury - last weekend junior took the unicorn to pony club - after 3 rides in 4 weeks, second place with 63% in the Novice, followed up with a beautiful soft round of showjumping (she hasn't taken unicorn over more than trot poles), even though there was a cricket score of rails as the jumps apparently weren't big enough to even bother picking up hind legs. I backed it up the following day with a 69+ in the 3B and 71+ in the 2B at a club training day...beautiful tests that I could not have asked for more from her.

I know they are first world problems, but feel better for having a bitch about the situation.

Stay safe everyone, and enjoy your time with your ponies.

It is the maddest year I have begun in all my 62years, I am just thankful we were not burning down and hit with Virus then. I think the fires saved me a little in a way, self funded retirement was meant to be the good years, I know I should not look, but if we have lost almost 200k in less than 3 weeks, many people will be forgotten too, we get no benefits for anything- unless we count the seniors card. Anyhow, I know we will be ok, because I will make sure we cope, where there is a will, there is a way. I am thankful I do not work ( no job to lose) I feel for all those others, its not going to be easy on any of us. People have nothing left after the fires, that seems to be forgotten in the midst of all the rest of this. The panic buying is crazy, even here. The shops would be the easiest place for this to spread the way it is happening. The safest place today was the pharmacy, I never buy hand sanitiser , but theres none anyhow, so someone told me there was some behind the counter.. yep, a tiny bottle for $3.50 ( 50ML) AHH WHAT \NEXT i ASK?
    sTAY SAFE, i AM HAPPY ON 5 ACRES , THANKFUL FOR THAT.

sunlight soap works just as well and no one seems to be emptying the shelves of it yet.

Its funny Mindari - the only things I could be accused of hoarding are Pears Soap bars and clothes washing liquid... and the rest of it is coming to bite me on the ass... couldn't get anything in Woolies this morning - how do you feed a family for a week when you can only by 2 bags of frozen veges, and 2 tins of veges...thats only 3 meals for us.

Wish I knew the answer :-(

No answers, we just wait. And keep our 1.5 separation (except the idiots). Cyrus I'm still in shock at being told I am a self-funded retiree and not eligible for even part-pension. And worked while I was fit enough to past 70 because I thought it was the right thing to do. Bugger. 80 next year so pretty much in the danger zone, glad we live sort of remote - and no public transport within cooee, so can't even use the free train ride on the Seniors Card. Drivers licence just became due for renewal, 10 years or 3 years? they said. So I says I'll take ten please. And she said oh I just looked at your birth date, you can only have three. I'm still on a head of steam with anger, and that was the week before coronavirus dropped on us like a brick. The ponies keep me sane.

Thank goodness for ponies and a land is all I say, improvements may happen. I can still mow, whippersnip ( the grass might slow though) I just hope only those who deserve to helped , get helped. During the fires, there were some serious lies told to get things.

I hope none of us get the virus, and I am really glad we got through all those fires before the next sledgehammer hit us..

Sherbrooke. If you have a Commonwealth Health Card, that $250 pensioner travel card is worth applying for, as it gives you petrol at certain places. Some servos take it and some dont, but when ever you are on the road, pull in and ask. $250 worth of petrol is not to be sneezed at.
    I receive no pension but I did qualify for the pension card at least, which helps somewhat. Self funded retirees cop it , after years of doing the right thing and working.

yes, self funded retirees the govt love, dont allow them anything so end up with less actual income than a pensioner as we discovered. so be careful if you paying in, make sure there will be enough to live on and that's its going to be enough that at a minimum when you work it out it covers all the non discounts you will have to pay because you havn't the pensioner rates.

now at least we are getting loverly rain, i only have the ride on lawn mowers (equine brand) so where i cant let them mow i need to cut.. dont have a lawn mower but spotted aldi are selling a petrol multi purpose whipper snipper, brush cutter, hedger n forget the other interchangeable extras, but figure what I cut I can throw to them either immediately or if hot weather let it dry and feed as hay.

no one is buying them, the stack at one shop is nearly my height

maybe when they have enough toilet paper they will begin hoarding yard and plant maintenance

only 199 at the moment but suspect will be on special in the next week or so

was asked by a friend to pick up a pony for her, ooooo im in love, poor little thing, only 5 months old never been handled and i had to get her trusting me enough to lead and load on the float. took me only 17 minutes to get her trust and leading in circles and hesitantly following me, more confidant with my arm around her neck, got her owners who couldnt keep her, to stand behind her and gently push her from behind as well and she went on like a little lady. cute as paint. they said her mum was a shetland, had to be put down after colic, I think her dad must have been an overo american miniature horse, she is over 50% white splashes on her little going black body. It was so hard to hand her over to my friend, she walked off the float like a little angel head tucked under my arm, didn't even try to rush down the ramp. Going to grow up into a great kids pony with such a good nature already.

kept telling myself you dont need her, need another horse like a hole in the head.

stay safe everyone
    Last edited by mindari; 26-03-20 at 09:09 PM.