Thread: Horse laid down whilst on a trail ride?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Horse laid down whilst on a trail ride?

I have owned by 17 year old ASH for 15 years. Yesterday, I took him out, away from his herd, for the first time in about a month. He wasn't happy, a bit stressed, and calling out to his mates for the first 30 minutes of the ride. After an hour into the ride, he put his head down to pick at some long grass. Whilst I reached down to pull his head up, he went down. I was scared that I was going to get crushed and managed to roll away. He seemed a bit spooked by what had happened, and fortunately, didn't bolt away and leave me a long way from home. I had to hand walk him for a little way (until I could find a log or something to get back on him) and he was anxious the rest of the way home, prancing on the spot etc. As soon as we got home, I tied him up and left him for a couple of hours to 'think things through'. I'm not sure if this will have any affect, if it's like scolding the puppy an hour after he wee'd on the carpet! He has never done anything like this before and I'm really concerned that this could become the new 'norm'. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. He appeared well and was fine this morning.

Thanks so much.

It sounds to me as though this was a one off incident which unsettled him as much as you! I don't think the tying up will achieve anything given horses (in general) nature.

Maybe make your next few rides shorter, gradually lengthening the ride until he's a bit less stressed when you take him out

Okay you’ve asked for suggestions.
    To me it’s sounds as though you might have been a bit unlucky and caught him off balance, and given both of you a fright. Don’t beat yourself up, happens to the best of us.
    When a horse dives for grass, pulling their head up with the reins is really ineffective and can cause more hassles, sending them forwards is the cleaner option, also in hand work regarding appropriate and inappropriate times to graze could be beneficial.