Thread: Horses that snort at every stride

Default Horses that snort at every stride

Something I am reading at the moment mentions 'dragon breathing'. Apparently this is when a horse snorts at every stride. I have seen (and heard) horses do this: racehorses, dressage horses...

My question is, is this good, bad, or indifferent?

And, why does a horse do it?

How does it compare to the lovely snort of relaxation when a horse is using himself well?

Hi taff I certainly don't think it's a bad thing, but then again I've not thought about it! I used to ride a horse who snorted at every stride, but not always.
    He used to do it at the canter, I felt he was happy and just keeping rhythm.

When I've seen horses snort in rhythm, they seem to be relaxed. Occasionally you do see a tense horse snorting, but to me this seems to be a different type of snort

Yes, I'm not talking about tense snorting at all.

But I am sure I've heard that this 'dragon breathing' is not the best. I really don't know, hence the question.

My half-mad, long dead instructor told us long ago that snorting was a good sign, but he wasn't referring to the snort, snort, snort at every (canter) stride. He was referring to the relaxed, steady, 'comfort' snort of a horse settling into work. (either on the lunge or when ridden).

HOWEVER, another instructor, many years later, told me that yes, this snort was a good sign but nothing to write home about. I might have attached too much importance to it.

But this 'dragon breathing'... surely many people have heard and seen this? What are their thoughts, I wonder. Does it mean the horse would like to go faster? Why do racehorses do it when they are cruising along at a canter? Why would a 'dressage horse' do it? Would/could it be good or bad?

It's in a novel I am reading.

So, to be clear, we have at least 3 types of snorting (let's disregard the wild snorty snort of a suspicious stallion in a Disney film).

1. Relaxed snort
    2. Snort at every stride of canter (apparently known as Dragon Breathing at least in the USA)
    3. Disney snort (to be ignored)

Maybe its just a thing they do. Like those tennis players that feel the need to grunt or shriek with every hit ?

Such a busy forum….
    One of my horses snuffles when he is pleased/happy.. typically heading out somewhere when he had not been ridden for a while.
    Across all the other caps he wears..nothing….
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

..and.. further to my intro above.. most modern software sends out notifications when posts are made.. folks turn them off but in the case of cbh a post notification process might engage some who have given up checking…just sayin'…..
    The only thing wrong with a horse is that it is usually attached to a human

Thank you for checking in, tgh.

Yes, I suppose most people have given up checking in here, or only check very seldom (once or twice a year). [Whispers] I tried to suggest a looksee at horse and dog f o r u m in Ewe Kay but it got wiped by gremlins and I might have been banned for a week but I didn't notice.

We have life.. nice to see.
    As for snorting, I suppose like people they are all a bit different. Maybe we just close off the poor old airways by insisting they tuck the good old nose too far in :O
    Hope you are all well and not too affected by the crazy old world, Chatty chook is still cruising, 2 years and 2 months later. Might be getting on, like me.

No, cyrus, the snorting of a relaxed horse occurs when they start to use their back, I think. The head and neck will be in a comfortable position.

'Real' dressage is good for the horse. It's just a shame that in any activity at all there will be participants whose practises we don't admire. We mustn't critisice the whole group, though.