Thread: electric spurs

Default electric spurs

I just read a story about American show jumper,, Andrew Kocher, getting 10 years disqualification and fines and loss of wins etc , for the use of electric spurs !!! I never new such things existed until just very recent happenings. How many others have even seen them ? And who makes them when they are obviously illegal ??
    Thought I would ask on here , as I was amazed .

I've never heard of them either. Seems a bit of overkill when there are spurs that can poke and prod badly enough when in the wrong hands -- I mean on the wrong feet. Why the need for a zap as well?

I dont know Taff. But the recent incident I heard of, here, involved a ( well known ) race horse trainer, so maybe these spurs work like jiggers ??? You know ? Slap their neck with a jigger while at trackwork, then slap them the same in the race ?
    I had never heard of them until this above mentioned, then a week later I read the story about the U S show jumper. I wondered if anyone else here had ever heard of or seen anything like them.
    There is just no end to what people will do to cheat.

Angry

I saw that story as well yesterday. Its really disgraceful the extent people will go to win a competition. Hope they hold their heads in shame. 10 years is not enough. How sensitive would a horse become to touch with electric spurs. My emoji here would be a face crying.
    Horses are my friends for life

No manufacturers make them, the riders do.
    This has been discussed for years, people have been aware of this since the beginning, the giveaway was that nobody had ever witnessed him take his boots on or off.
    The general rig up, was insulated wires running under the riders clothes from a button in the hand to armpit, down the sides/legs into the boots, out a hole in the boots under the spur then taped to the spur with the wire exposed at the spur tip.
    There were YouTube videos everywhere around 3 years ago, somebody walking behind Kosher filming his legs/breeches as he walked, the wire was visible through the fabric, these videos disappeared when legal action was threatened.

Bloody hell !!! Thats mind blowing. Very happy he finally got caught out.
    Now just wondering how it works on race horses.
    It was spurs turned in, I believe, by a work rider. ????

OMG . Reading Learns4life description was worse than how I imagined it. What a pity he didn't electrify himself. I find it so hard to get my head around that riders would do this. Spose I love my horses too much and not there to compete for myself and not using the horse I ride as a tool to succeed. I do western in hand. When I see their spurs. I feel uncomfortable. When I did dressage comps on Max (nearly last century) I used spurs but I used to be so conscious of them.
    Horses are my friends for life