Thread: Digging Donkeys

Default Digging Donkeys

Such a good little piece on the ABC tv just now about some research on wild donkeys digging to water and creating mini oasis in the dry country. Who knew!

WOW! Donkeys are so smart, but not often given credit for it!

I think this study was done in the US? I’d love to see it repeated in AUS....

Learns4, feeling a bit cynical, think they are trying more to exterminate donkeys than to study them in Australia. Didn't watch the Budget Speeches tonight, bit gutted that ABC radio had someone saying that protection of wildlife is to be divested by Federal Govt and handed over to the States - sort of hidden within Budget-night and a bit under the carpet. Devastating given the rolling corruption and self interest often seen in the States, and there will be no federal umbrella legislation to stop them. Birds, forests, the works. And the NT, being a territory not a state, will be open go. I'd love to be wrong here.

I wish I had the cash to purchase a few thousand acres of bush, refuse culls, and bring in researchers and get some real answers.
    If donkeys are digging for water, it’s entirely possible brumbies are too, you ask the high country men and women and they all say brumbies numbers are lower than stated and that the brumbies reduce fire risk. But these things aren’t studied because it doesn’t fit the agenda. I would just like to have real documented research.