Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Natural Horsemanship

Default Natural Horsemanship

Can anyone recommend a good book to learn some of the basic ground techniques in natural horsemanship? I have been doing a bit of research on the net and have finally decided I should buy a book to teach me a bit on ground control. I am only wanting to learn basics such as leading, lunge work, loading onto floats etc. Any Recommendations?

Default RE: Natural Horsemanship

Linda Tellington Jones (TTouch Team)

Cheers Yarraman

It would be available from saddleries?

Yes, I have seen her books in numerous stores around (otherwise order via Amazon or the like). Her methods have helped me greatly with a big goof-ball of a TB.... floating.... leading... confidence.
    We have a very capable TTouch practitioner in Vic.: Rosemary oh dear, forgot her name now...... (used to be Jelbart - ? help anybody?)
    Good luck. It's a bit different than the usual shooing around in round pens... (sorry).

BJD Guest

Can't go past 'The Truth About Horses' by Andrew McLean not exactly 'natural' horsemanship in the round pen sense, but very good horsemanship. Get it at saddlery's and bookstores plus it's a really enjoyable read.

Yep, I second that, too. :-)

John Chatterton's 'The Ten Commandments' - no not a religious book but a dammed good one for ground training. I cannot recommend this book any higher.
    East Gippsland Hoof Care A.C.E.H.P. - for balance, form & function
    www.wix.com/yunarickard/eghc
    "There is none so foolish as he who thinks he can outwit nature"

www.madeit.com.au/YRDesigns - beaded jewellery, handspun woollies, beanies, scarves, cards

I second that autumn. I have been using it with Alfie and the differnce since November at Dandenong show to the boy who stood still alert and square at melb summer royal was amazing. I have also been using the methods on the old boys. Yes even Flash and Maxie both in their 30's have benefitted form it ,well I have ,I should say. But they do enjoy the interaction.Whats good about John's book is it caters for all ages of horses from different disaplines. Never too old to learn or correct bad habits.
    Horses are my friends for life

Thanks Guys!

I have recorded down all the author names and book titles and will be taking myself out bookshoping this weekend!

Can't go past Pat Parelli's Natural Horse.Man.Ship book. I'm still reading it and finding it valuable after 5 years.

Savvy