Thread: Colic

Default Colic

Is a recent serious case of colic likely to affect the sale value of a horse?

I have heard of minor cases where a horse is treated by a vet onsite and this is adequate treatment. Then other cases where the horse needs be floated to a vet's premises for more serious treatment and constant supervision.

I have heard that some horses may be chronic sufferers of colic and are more susceptible to recurrances than others.

Can someone offer some information about their experiences of colic in general, and let me know if it is something that would need to be discussed with the vendor as part of the horse's history when considering purchase?

Whilst it seems that at times colic is unavoidable and inevitable for many horses, any advice regarding preventative measures would be appreciated.

Default RE: Colic

i think that it would be very wise to inform the buyers if the horse was more susceptible to colic than normal, especially if they required an operation for it.
    i have dealt with more colic attacks then i can remember but there was only one case that required an operation and that horse is still happy healthy working and winning
    i dealed with a horse that got colic every time he went to siec...very bizzare.
    it shouldnt really affect your set price for the horse though, so long as it doesnt affect the horses performance.
    i think every horse has had colic at least once and we just learn to accept it really.
    best way to avoid colic attacks are mainly common sense;
    -avoid rapid changes of body temperature
    -introduce new types of feed in proportion
    -keep paddocks free of stuff like bailing twine, fireweed anything that could trigger it
    -keep the horse happy and calm
    hope all goes well

I had a 4yo TB gelding who I was selling and new buyers were going to pick him up in a week. Sadly he got colic and we had to have him put down.

Definitely tell them if it's a recent bout. I was monitoring the vital signs of a horse who had a serious case (but didn't need operating) and while he took one week to be back to his normal self, it was 6 weeks before his vital signs returned to normal. The recovery is a fragile time for them so a big move is not ideal, and the potential buyer may like to hold off on moving until he is recovered, or if they take him, be very aware of the situation. Probably wouldn't hurt to get them to sign something saying that they were aware the horse had suffered a colic attack x weeks prior to purchase, just in case. Any more than 6 weeks though and I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it was recurring.

Katherine

Hi, I had a gelding that suffered a few attacks, mainly in summer when the grass was dry and very dusty. I do understand that colic can be severe, I also think that horses do and can overeact to tummy aches. They dont like it. In the case of my gelding I treated him with sandylube. I do think its good to share the horses medical history, but I also think that colic can and will be part of owning a horse and that if I was buying a horse I would like to know but I don't think it would put me off unless it was reoccuring and costing a lot to treat.

Thanks everyone.
    My original post was from the point of view of being a potential buyer, as opposed to being the seller of a horse with a past history. I realise the way I expressed my query was a little ambiguous.
    Nevertheless, you have answered my question from the other point of view.
    When considering purchasing a new horse, it definately seems worthwhile to discuss the horse's colic history with the seller, particularly as you say Katherine, if the horse has had a recent serious bout.
    Could a seller classify their horse as 100% sound if it was known to suffer recurring colic bouts?

Definitely should tell buyer's about a horse that has colicked (at all) as they're could be ongoing problems and it is a very serious problem.

I had a horse colic (ate bark)and she was never 100% again, she died a few months later despite initially responding to treatment.

I would never attempt to sell a horse that had colicked recently (even if it had been given the all clear). Too much risk.

Does anyone know if a very thorough vet check would reveal symptoms that would indicate a history of recurring/chronic bouts of colic?

Reason I ask, is that not all sellers would necessarily be forthcoming about this (although one would hope so!) so I am wondering if a vet might be able to see indications?

i dont think they do look for it but if you told them you were suspicious about it they would be able to do something im sure

Miller, when I was looking after the post-colic horse I was talking about, out of all the vital signs, the heart rate took the longest to return to normal. Obviously, a high heart rate doesn't mean colic specifically and it is a bit hard to say it's high if you don't know that horse's normal resting rate, but it may be a good indicator and perhaps worth checking?

Katherine