Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learn Polo?

Default Learn Polo?

anyone know of a club on the northern beaches that teaches polo or polocrosse?

i'd love to give it a go just for fun!

Default RE: Learn Polo?

I'm no where near there Sweet Savannah. I just thought I would mention that my mum was at a place where they had a 'pony' in a room with a curved floor.

You could then practice swinging the mallet without hitting the 'pony' in the head and the ball would come back for you to have another go!

You could probably practice quite a bit with a broom on a 44 gallon drum in the back yard. LOL!!!!

Hi Sweet_Savannah,

If you google polocrosse + (enter your state), it should bring up a home page which should have some contact details. They would be able to point you in the right direction.

I play polocrosse and its great fun. I have never played polo though, its boring to watch but i hear its great fun to play.

Good luck!!!

"There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse"

If you go to Terrey Hills Saddlery you will see that they have an advert on the wall above the front counter about learning to play polo and polo crosse.

Hey Savannah.
    I'd reccommend polocrosse, I played that for a little bit and have stick-and-balled millions of polo horses (that's what they call it when you basically canter or gallop them up and down hitting the ball so they get used to the stick and ball part of the game.

Only played a coupla games of polo, even at low levels it's really competitive and pretty hectic - great fun but I had a lot of trouble hitting the ball very hard as most female players I know do (not being sexist, it's just that you do need a fair bit of strength in the wrists) and also my wrists always hurt afterwards.

It's pretty hard on the horses too, also you generally have to have quite a few horses to play with, ideally 6 for each game, 1 for each chukka as they get pretty tired. Unless you have some more social games over your way I'd definitely go for polocrosse, in WA we don't seem to have 'fun games', most of the focus is on A and B grades, the rest are pretty well just forgotten.

Also the gear for polo is really expensive too, especially decent mallets!! Maybe look into that before you decide? Let us know what you do.

I've got a polo-pony-turned-show-hack who would love to go back to polo instead of dressage and hacking any day. She is awesome, the quietest thing to ride and to do anything with, just doesn't care about anything that goes on around her. She is brilliant to ride.

I know that Forest Hills PC has some gear- when I went there, sometimes the games would include polocrosse, or we would have a hit as a 'break' from mounted games practise. Maybe see if you can get in contact with them to see if you could borrow the stuff. Otherwise, to get your horse accustomed to the swinging, get a dressage whip or something and practise just swinging it to make sure she's not going to flip when you try it with a proper mallet. (Is that what they are called???)

They play polo at Narrabeen reserve as well during summer. Try and get in contact with them- they could know! If you can't reach them, Manly Warringah PC is on the same grounds (I think) so see if you could get in tough with one of them instead to see if they could re-direct you?

I have worked on a polo farm and after seeing first hand animal cruelty all I can say is that unless you have the money and time to devote to keeping your horses, and keeping them fit and healthy, that Polo should be barred.

First grade polo played by experienced riders, who obviously care for the health and welfare of their horses, is awesome to watch. The horses were fit and obviously enjoying themselves,some of them even appear to watch the ball.

It is a very expensive sport, so be prepared to spend mountains of money on a string of at least 8 horses, polo saddles - if you want to get into this sport seriously you will find that you need at least half the number of saddles for the amount of horses that you have, and the associated gear.

Good luck, unfortunately I have seen the wrong side of the sport and have been greatly disillusioned.

Bowerbird.

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought that Bowerbird. And to think that polo in Australia is kind compared to what happens to polo ponies in Argentina :-(

If you're just wanting to have a go, then polocrosse would be better. Even a polo lesson where everything is provided is quite expensive and that's before you actually get to go in a game (and it's a game where beginners are really in the deep end). At least polocrosse is more fun-orientated, relaxed and people will be more willing to help you along. I imagine it would be far easier to deal with the ball too! ;-)

Katherine
    www.freewebs.com/werdun

"Never fear the shadows. They mean there's light nearby..."

Hey Bowerbird and Werdun. I've worked for 4 different a-grade players, apart from not being able to tell their horses apart as they usually have anywhere between 20-50 of them, they've all looked after them pretty well!! Although they don't handle them much except for the games (except 1 guy who worked more hours with 'em than all his staff put together) they're pretty good about feeding, getting vets, good boots/bandages, well-fitting gear, using good, reputable breakers etc. In fact I'd have to say in about 6 years of working with them and countless games I've only seen 1 person really get stuck into a horse!! Maybe I've just been lucky but I see a lot worse at pretty well every show I go to.

Argentina/Spain are another matter though...couldn't pay me enough to work there any more.