Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do i make him face up??

Default How do i make him face up??

I am back to square one, i cannot catch my 11 month old gelding. He went through this phase a couple of months ago. i had someone come out and handle him properly, put ropes over him and used pressure and release. After that he was brilliant to catch.

But time lapsed by, i didn't catch him for a while, he was a little tricky. Then i thought i'd let him run with the mares, big mistake! They all had a brilliant time running away from me.

So the last couple of days he has been in a paddock by himself, i was hoping he would look to me for company, not so. He is absolutely fine by himself, very independent don't worry.

Tonight i went down to catch him just because. Took me an hour and a half. He didn't give in because he wanted to, he was absolutely stuffed from running up and down the hill, in the end i had to trap him in the stock yards. i know big mistake but it was pitch black i HAD to get him. So for now he is living in the lunging yard (at least 20m diameter)

What should i do now?! What is the facing up that Suzie Q and others have spoken about? Do i get this fella back out to help me (how embarrassing). Leave him in the round yard till he's bored out of his brain and wants to be with me??!

Please help, so sorry for the long post!

Default RE: How do i make him face up??

Id call up the nearest natural horsemanship person and
    have them come out and give you a lesson in yeilding his hindquarters and getting him to face up. Ask around at feedstores, saddleries etc they will know of someone. Otherwise you might try Monty Roberts book on join up, or Pat Parellis DVD "Discover the catching game." available on the website http://www.parelli.com

In short: follow him around the yard, if he turns his quarters to you throw the end of a rope at him, if he faces you AT ALL even just looks at you or flicks his ear towards you back away. Thats pressure on the HQ's, release of pressure if he gives you attention. Once he gives you his undivided attention its a matter of approach and retreat until he is happy for you to touch his shoulder or he will walk up to you if you are really good at this.

Bellestarr
    "Fruit is the new chocolate."
    http://www.brumbiesrun.com

1. You don't MAKE him face up. You get him hooked on and he faces up himself.
    2. You don't go down to catch your horse. You get him ready to catch and then you can just put the halter on him.
    3. You don't leave him in the round yard till hes bored out of his brain. You get smarter and he looks you up!!!

I would get your horseguy back real soon and yes YOU need to be embarrassed. All the guys good work has just been wasted. You had no idea what he was doing.. you just wanted your horse fixed and AGAIN ( as I said in another post) there is nothing wrong with your horse.. The guy can catch him.. You have just taught him how not to be caught..
    Its fine for horses to run around and act like they don't want to be caught.. as long as you know when they are ready to be caught or can set it up for them to get ready ..
    "You can't Make a horse do anything, you set it up so its his idea". RH
    "So this horse is running over you, walking on you, doing things you donít want. Why would YOU let him do that? Who is the instructor? Who is the teacher? Who is taking care of this outfit?" - Ray Hunt

Iv had this problem many times with my young stock. You turn them out for a few months and then cant get near them. Using a hose is a good way to get them used to being touched. You can stand back were your safe(if his alittle jumpy) and hose him all over. He wont like to start but keep doing it alittle each day. With the hot weather coming he may end up enjoying it. Also when your doing stuff with your other horses, tie them near him, maybe to the other side of his yard. It may encourage him to come up. I have also found that with weanlings, if you sit in near them (down at there eye leval), talk to them but nothing elce, each day they come further over to you.

When he trusts you, keep handling him. Even somthing simple like leaving him in a lane way were you have to walk each day. I did that with a filly recently, she was ferral, now she wont leave my alown. Somtime's you do need a pro, if your really worried get some1 to help you. Its happands to everyone at some stage.

Thanks Blackwidow, it's nice to know i'm not the only one.

Reata i know that i've stuffed up. But TIME is the problem. i was taught don't go out there unless you have the time to finish the job properly. i just don't, so he gets left. I feed him every night, he gets a pat on the head. He's usually fine with that. But the minute you go out with something in your hands he's off. The mares have taught him that.

Suffice to say they are all separated now. Riding horse is kept on her own, broodie also on her own as if i put her back with the gelding she protects him from me. I have one old pony gelding that can go in with the yearling but only for an hour or so as he will founder if left out for a long time.

I will leave him in the yard for a couple of days, there's no point in putting him back out into the paddock if i can't catch him again. I'll make the TIME to go in each night, work with him along the lines of how this guy did and see how i go. And yes i am embarrassed about how i've let it all slip but as i said TIME. And this is my first foal i've ever had, there are going to be stuff up's along the way, just hopefully they will be sorted out as time goes on.

Sorry for the long post!

Hi there Poor Girl

IMO, the best thing you could do would be to get the person back who helped you before. It is not just a matter of spending time with him - you need to be doing the right thing when you're with him. Don't be too proud to ask the guy to come back to help.

Please ask him to help YOU to learn what he's doing so you can continue in a positive direction. Asking for help before things get too bad is the best thing you could do.

Even if you don't have much time, he can give you some tips on things you could do when feeding every day for example.

You owe it to both of you to sort this out. You will feel so much better when you aren't stressing about this and feeling like you're not getting anywhere.

Best of luck and good on you for asking:)

Hi I hope I can help you.

I have 2 11 month olds as well. I recently put them back in the paddock with their mums... One of the mums is hard to catch and will race around.. the foals then race around as well. So here is what I do.....Make sure before you try this that the foals love their food and tid bits it: they know what a bucket is and whats in it... Carry this bucket into the paddock with you and when they come up from curriosity just let them feed a biut, pat and scratch them and walk away... the idea is that they end up following you and everytime they "catch" you" they get a treat and a pat... Soon anough they will be seeking you out whehtehr is a big paddock with others or in their own paddock... This is a trick that an old farrier and horseman once taught me. Its amazing how even the best horses wont want to be caught when they are in a paddock with others....

Poor girl, try this link

www.naturalhorsetraining.com/TrainingTips64.html

particularly the roundpenning link. I swear by the tips from Sylvia Scott. I have a 9 year old arab that was for a long period of time (over years) that was badly treated. You could not catch her in a blue fit she was that scared. I followed the round penning and it worked an absolute treat. It was such a relief!! All of Sylvia Scotts tips are excellent and they make sense, she seems to put them in user friendly language that even I can understand ;) Read over it and try it before you get your guy out. Lord knows if I ever got my old horsewhisperer mate here everytime I had an issue with my babies he'd be here everyday ;)
    Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

Cheers
    Samsmum

Young horses IMHO do go through stages of being cheeky anyway - even if they've been well handled. My 8 year old, who I've had as a yearling still has naughty moments.... I actually draft him in the paddock the bugger, if he's playing up. But he's totally been through the ground handling, NH stufff - he knows it, he just wants to play sometimes }>

Good advice re the trainer, you could also look up www.horseproblems.com.au.

"Reason to Smile #1: Every 7 mintues of every day, someone in an aerobics class pulls a hamstring."

Be yourself: everyone else is taken.....

With my now nearly 1 year old colt I used John Chatterton's 10 Commandments book (the most important lessons are Face Up and Standing Still).
    Anyhow, he was my first foal, he was totally unhandled when I got him, plus Mum was very unfriendly aswell.
    Since doing the work with him he has NEVER been hard to catch, infact he follows me around like a puppy whenever I have to go into the paddock to pick up poo, fix fences or whatever. He comes running when he sees the halter and puts his nose into it himself. The only thing I do that isn't specifically recommended by Johns book is I do give him a treat (carrot) when I catch him, but only AFTER the halter is on. Also I used to put the halter on before he got his hard feed to further reinforce the 'halter is good' idea.
    People now think he is an easy colt because he is so well-behaved with floating, washing, having his feet done etc. BUT this is purely the result of the work I have put in to him. Every day for about 1/2 an hour at a time, this was for about 2 months to learn all his 'steps'. If you don't have the time to teach him properly, you can't expect he will be well-behaved.
    If I didn't have the time, or couldn't see him every day, I probably wouldn't have got a foal.