Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: knubstrapper horses

Default RE: knubstrapper horses

Appy markings are not at all predictable. You can breed 2 coloureds and get a solid foal with no characteristics.

The only way you can be guaranteed of colour is if you have a few spot, but that won't tell you the markings.

However, some lines are prepotent such as a leopard stallion that used to stand in SA, Can't remember his name but he had a few offspring that looked like him. Juana Doc I am fairly certain.

I only meant homozygous for colour (and I realise that can be very minimal in the offspring). A nice leopard or blanket would be just icing on the cake.

And I think that Waterview Park had Apollon listed at one stage - don't know if they actually ever imported any semen but they did represent Gestut Falkenhorst which is where the above article came from.
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

Antoine De Pluvinel

Default Knabstrupper horses

Waterview Park had Apollon semen for sale but nobody was interested at that time. It was about 5 years ago.

BTW it is Knabstrupper, not Knubstrapper.....

The few spot stallion is in USA now. I hope for a replacement colt this year, have 8 spotted (hopefully) foals to come. The first which I hoped for a colt, is a beautiful few spot filly almost snow white.

A Knabstrupper is homozygous for spots when it is a snow cap or few spot, once it HAS spots, it is not homozygous.

Default RE: Knabstrupper horses

Wishing you a good season Gwen. From reading COTH I realise you've had a very hard run this past year. :( You're due for some luck (like we Aussies are due for some RAIN dammitt).
    "One must avoid using force, for I have never seen anything positive come out of a horse if such is the case".

Antoine De Pluvinel

oops, sorry for the misprint. i am very surprised no one was interested in the stallion. maybe the right people didn't know waterview had it available and maybe some people shy from the unknown. i'm certainly interested, gwen. I'm guessing that was your article i posted a link to? hope you don't mind. :)
    i have spoken to someone who tried to bring them out here very recently, but between the lack of quality and the untrustworthiness of some of the people breeding them this person gave up. very sad.
    maybe when the quality overall lifts then some people might try again. did you have many problems getting started, gwen?
    ‎"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

Skymare,

I had no trouble starting as I started with the best Knabstrupper stallion that could be found out there at that time.... Apollon.

And you are right, there are some dishonest Knabstrupper breeders out there. They have cheated some Americans already and have spoken bad about other peoples horses just to sell their own. Have said that Knabstruppers should only been bred pure and to not use Apollon and now they are doing exactly this, using Apollon mare/s and breeding to outside stallions. Such behaviour is disgusting to me. First make everything bad and then do it yourself.....

It is fact that most people want the sporthorse Knabstrupper and not the old heavy baroque style used for circus purposes centuries ago.

I have still 7 foals to come that could be spotted - see foals page -
    The first was a homozygous few spot filly of which I sold the full sister last year to USA.

I had an appy mare, many years ago, who we belive was actually a Knapstrup, she did not look like the appys here in Australia at the time and her sire was imported from Europe (where appys were pretty rare) and this mare was tall and big boned like a knapstrup. I'd have loved to see her sire to see what he looked like.

Neisje

did she have brands? i remember a knabby being sold here is aus a long time ago. it was here with a circus and i guess the circus didn't want to take it back to europe, but i think it was a gelding. who did you buy her off?
    ‎"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee." - Abraham Lincoln

I think that it was less "that people weren't interested" than that the costs of breeding frozen in Australia are so high that the risk of 'not getting' the colour that you are really after just makes it too expensive.

I would love to breed to a frozen coloured horse but unless it is homozygous it's not worth the risk.

Antoine De Pluvinel

Bats,

I can understand the homozygous question totally. The semen of Milky Way which I sent to New Zealand for use in NZ and AU was sold in total shortly after to one person in Australia. I hope she gets some very lovely Palomino Warmblood foals out of her WB mares.

Edited for Knabstrupper