Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EI levy to horse owners?

Default EI levy to horse owners?

currently circulating via email -
    A Stallion called Schnitzel recently came back from standing at stud in Japan (with the flu.) Quarantine let him out. He lives at Centennial Park. On the ABC country hour today, 29/8/07. I heard the powers that be are going to levy ALL horse owners $10:00 p/head to cover the costs of this outbreak. They plan to go through registrations of Breed, pony club, racing etc to get the total so they can bill you! They did say double registrations will have to be taken into consideration when making the accounts up.

Anybody heard anything to this effect to clarify whether this is true or not? Don't mean to cause any panic but would be good if information distributed is factual.....

Default RE: EI levy to horse owners?

Schnitzel is not and was never at Centennial Park, He is Eastern Creek. Also to clarify he was immunised against the Equine Flu prior to go to Japan and then again prior to entering quarantine to return to Australia. He was also not the first stallion at Eastern Creek to show symptoms of the horse flu that was Encosta De Lago another horse who was immunised and came from Ireland not Japan.(I think)
    Now I would be very surprised if we were made to foot the bill for this because it has been caused by a flaw in Australias Quarantine procedures.
    Also no one is certain that the flu started with these stallions it is actually widely though that it started with horses at Centennial Park and was passed on to the stallions from there.
    If the Australian Government thinks that horse owners are going to pay for their F%*k up they can go to hell! Realistically anyone who makes a living out of the horse industry should be able to sue the government!
    Sorry edited to add; I just read that article and I think that if they are really planning on asking people to pay a levy it's hugely ridiculous!

What a load of crap..... Schnitzel does not live at Centennial Park he lives at Arrowfield Stud, Scone (when he is in Australia)and a levy on all horse owners to cover a breach of quarrantine border is about as believable as my fat aged shetland winning this years Melbourne Cup! If it is even on!

Honestly, Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see!

Satine,
    Schnitzel only lives at Arrowfield Stud in Scone for the Southern Hemisphere Season he stood the Nothern Hemisphere Season in Japan. But he wasn't at Centennial Park, he is at Eastern Creek.

I was listening to a talk back program this morning while having a coffee with a friend at her shop. I think they were talking to a politician. I don't know what station it was but they were discussing EI and (in between my friend serving customers) I did hear mention of charging a levy. Not sure who they were talking about charging (racing industry/pleasure horses ect) but there defintaley was mention of re couping the costs through a levy.

I suppose no-one really knows at this stage so we just have to sit back and see what happens.

thanks guys - a bit disconcerting to have this sort of thing being circulated via email - I was a recipient of it....

me thinks we are hitting the "hysteria" stage.....not good at all...

Yes Fair Embrace he is in Eastern Creek along with all the others, some of which were due to serve our mares this season!

Isn't it strange how the dpi can tell you that recreational horses from the Maitland ODE have tested POSITIVE, yet they can't give a definitive result on the shuttle stallions.

Either way it doesn't look like we are going to have much of a breeding season this year.

If anyone tries to get you to pay anything please confirm it via a phone call or direct contact with the supposed 'business' billing you. Do not use email!

Sounds like someone setting the ground work for a major scam to me.

There has been a bit of angst over this topic on another forum so just to give you the facts :
    The Australian Horse Industry Council, in conjunction with the Australian Racing Board and the Australian Harness Racing Council have been negotiating with the Federal Government since a meeting of the major Horse Industry representatives on the 24th June 2004 to agree, in principal, to the Horse Industry contributing to the cost of eradicating an emergency disease. The Horse Industry was the only industry that did not have an agreement with the government. The implication of not having an agreement is that the Federal Government are under NO obligation to eradicate any diseases that affect horses. This means our horses could get sick and die - and we may not be able to do anything about it.
    This agreement has been advertised extensively in all the major magazines and papers over the past three years (some full page colour) and there was an entire stand at Equitana two years ago explaining what it was about.
    The proposed levy is ZERO BASED and is only used AFTER a disease outbreak has been eradicated. A $10 ONCE ONLY levy would then be collected from all NEW registrations from that date until our share is repaid. This would be collected through the registering body as part of our registration fee.
    I, for one, am more than happy to pay $10 to help keep my horses safe!

Judi Tainsh
    Australian Horse Industry Council
    and Breeder/Competitor and Mother of 2 kids who ride

horses don't die from it, unless they are immunocomprimised (spelling) anyway, ie old/young or sick.