Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tip For Agistment

Talking Best Tip For Agistment

Hi all, I'm currently looking for agistment (1st time owner) and I was wondering if anyone could share their #1 tip or #1 thing that is important when looking for agistment...

Fences! number one thing...make sure they are solid... not falling down.

Look at the horses all ready there...if they look happy and healthy thats good..if they are skinny and look down in the dumps chances are its not the best place to be.

Adequate taps in paddocks...you dont want to have to be diddle daddlying around with taps and hoses,dragging a horse here or there.

Place to ride,is there an arena? Is there a limit you can use it,if someone is getting a lesson do they get prefrence? Find all that out too.
    I was at an agistment that had two arena,but any time someone had a lesson this brat would go into the arena with the lesson and ride,one time the person getting the lesson got in her way and she cut loose,screaming her head off at the rider and instructor (she was all of 12) since that day the arena was rostered and people having lessons got preference,so if you went to ride and there were lesson booked for a few hours solid...you had to miss out riding!

GRASS!! It's WAY cheaper than hand feeding. Try and find somewhere with great pasture and mightn't need to feed at all, which will save you a fortune.

Also treat the owners like gold. Pay exactly on time and be courteous and respectful of their property and they will love you forever and give your horse special treatment.

hmm haven't really agisted much but the one time I did I learnt a thing or two about the value of good pasture. The agistment places that have small individual paddocks generally have barely any grass and highly susceptible to worms. I spent a FORTUNE feeding trying to keep weight on my horse
    A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.

All of the above.... fences, riding areas, grass
    plus
    distance from home - have had to travel 30 kms one way daily , petrol and time costs add up.

water- have had to bucket water cos they didnt have enough hose, tiring and time consuming lugging 10 buckets a day another one the tanks ran dry and i had to cart water from home........... didnt stay long there.

holiday care.....if you travel regularly - are they happy to feed and rug for you when you go away.

food storage - do they have anywhere to store you feed.

shelter- trees, hedges or manmaid.

I thought your question was, "I've found agistment, now what are your tips?" and my first thought was "find the queen bee, now don't piss her off".

Number one thing: fences/sheds and how safe they are. Would you be willing to ride in that arena? How safe everything is.

Also:
    Space available for each horse.

Safe washing and tying area, away from cars.

Water, is it automatically filled, mains or rain water?

Will they be fed if you can't get there? (If you get to know someone there, you could possibly organize something with them, but it's nice to know in advance that something can be done.)

Consider holiday care.

Talk to other people who are already there (if possible) and ask what they think, why they chose that place.

What are the facilities like vs number of horses.
    - Is it likely you'd have an acceptable amount of space to ride whenever you arrived?
    - What about lighting, if you rode at night etc. Do you have to pay for that lighting?
    - If you want to do some jumping, are there poles suitable to turn into fences?
    - Are there roads or tracks about that are safe to ride on?
    - Is the arena(s) too deep to work on nicely, would they flood in winter, etc.
    Last edited by tentative; 03-06-10 at 07:30 PM.

You know I never even thought to ask about who gets preference in the arena - what a GREAT tip! Thanks

I love how alot of people have recommended that I be good to the owners! I think it is important to be somewhere where the owner is always happy to give advice, to answer health questions etc and to generally just be pleasant. Unfortunately as most of you know alot of people in the horse world and industry can be quite stuck up!

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming.. I've started a checklist to bring with me when I go check out places.

Ask how long the current agisters have been there (if its a handful of peple). I found with good quality agistment once someone is happy with a place they will be loyal agisters whether they change horses or not. These are often the hardest places to get into as well.

Good luck with the agistment hunting. Where are you located?

Another thing to consider is if they have a compulsory worming schedule and rotation of paddocks.......you may worm regularly but there'll always be some owners who either don't know any better or can't be bothered. Feed and gear lockable storage is a godsend if available!
    Last edited by horsesRgr8; 03-06-10 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks Gemini. I'm located in Wollongong and am looking to agist in the Campbelltown area. I just want to mainly do pleasure, with a bit of flat work so ideally I'd like somewhere with trails and an arena. Am I asking too much?!

Most of my life I have just taken lessons, and have done a stint as a riding instructor in the states. Now, with my Uni degree JUST finished and my little girl 4 months old, and our (my husband and I) 1st home under our belt, it's finally time at the age of 27 to own my first horse! Can you tell I'm excited!!