Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Tip For Agistment

Quote Originally Posted by Tb Lover View Post
    I know where you agist! Who is running it now? (PIAS).
    Um I don't think you do TB.
    The people that 'run it' now are the people that have owned the property and run it for at least 6 years.
    Cheers

And WBIT you are SOOOO right!!!
    Last edited by PIAS; 04-06-10 at 08:13 PM.

If you're down in the Gong you shouldn't have trouble with feed.

I'm an agister for the last 16 years. My tips =

1. be v. nice to the owners, pay promptly, respect the property, NEVER use anything that's not yours without asking first, especially tack.

2. ask exactly what access you have to facilities i.e. what times / days

3. do the facilities match your needs? i.e. do they have trails, an indoor arena? If you're a pleasure rider, and you need safe trails, but you don't want to float or ride up the main road, I'd suggest having a look at Darkes Forest or Otford. A bit of a drive, but major benefits in terms of riding access. Plus Otford Valley Farm has indoor arena / outdoor arena/ round yard etc. I believe there's some nice places down near Berry also, but I'm sorry I don't know other spots in between.

4. things like, can you share the arena except for special occaisions are important. It should never be so precious that you can't ride around, even with lessons going on.

Good luck, hope you find somewhere nice

Quote Originally Posted by PIAS View Post
    Um I don't think you do TB.
    The people that 'run it' now are the people that have owned the property and run it for at least 6 years.
    Cheers

And WBIT you are SOOOO right!!!
    Ohh -- I must be wrong --- The Old Inglis Property - P/View. Used to do the Showjumping there YEARS ago - (sounds like the description - you gave )

Orrrr - The old one down (that the lady used to do dressage - out of your era) - new owner put up INDOOR - People have mentioned 'him' there that USED to instruct on the coast THEN went EC - then OS - then back Aus. ('him" likes to SOUND like a german BUT ain't)

Naaa -- sounds like the first one I mentioned.

Thanks for all the tips - I'm so glad I asked as you all mentioned some things that I might not have asked/looked into.

I find it's much better to learn from others than to make avoidable mistakes and THEN learn!

I'm actually looking in the Campbelltown area as the property needs to be halfway between me (Wollongong) and my friend (Penrith).

So I am not looking for DIY obviously - I'm not that crazy plus the whole baby thing makes it a bit hard to go 45 mins away twice a day!! I would love to keep the horse on my own property one day however just bought a townhouse so won't be going anywhere for a little while. Will be moving to Berry next. So beautiful!

Any agisters out Campbelltown way? One of the places I am considering is Sugarloaf (right smack bang in the middle of Campbelltown so the location is perfect) - but I've had a look at the website and it looks like the sort of place that is run by teenagers (again, no offence). Does anyone agist there or has agisted there in the past? I know it has an arena and trails so it ticks those 2 boxes....

Cheers

Hi Charmaine,

Get a contract. I get a signed contract with all the rules and expectations of both parties laid out clearly and signed so you know what is expected.

Fencing is really important as well, as is your own lockable feed and tack shed. I live 25klm from my horse agistment and would love to be somewhere not DIY, but unfortunately I can't afford those kinds of places, in my areas they are VERY expensive, so I drive out daily. For me though, I know most of the other peole who agist there and if I'm sick or away on holiday they are more than happy to feed my horse for me.

Water is also really important as people have said, I like self waterers on agistemnt properties so I can be happy knowing he won't get thirsty.

My agistment owners are not really horsey, but it's important to stay on their good side. Most are fairly accommodating though. Mine likes to be very neat, and likes to mow my horses paddocks weekly, and very short, so we have arranged for him to do it monthly, because I don't want all my horses grass chopped away! So make sure the owners are approachable bout these kinds of things. Also, if there is an arena, find out who is in charge of maintenance for it, and ensure they keep up the maintenance.