Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Tip For Agistment

i ONLY agist where there is plenty of grass. it cuts down on your feed bill, gives the horse nourishment it needs and gives them proper grazing time which also prevents boredom and the behavioural problems that arise with it.
    i also prefer shared paddocks, but sometimes i can't do that. currently i have to feed extra to my girl so she has to be put in private over winters so she gets ALL the extra hay and feed. but her paddock is still large enough that there is always green grass at least an inch tall and the paddocks are rotated. so if you go private make sure you get two paddocks to rotate at your will. it really is the best option for your horse. oh and SHADE IS A MUST.
    other than that i guess it depends on what services YOU require as well.
    i also never stop looking for a better place. i'm always driving around eyeing off horse properties and wondering if they do agistment. i've got a good place now, but it's not perfect so i'm still on the prowl.

Quote Originally Posted by cbrown View Post
    GRASS!! It's WAY cheaper than hand feeding. Try and find somewhere with great pasture and mightn't need to feed at all, which will save you a fortune.

Also treat the owners like gold. Pay exactly on time and be courteous and respectful of their property and they will love you forever and give your horse special treatment.
    Yes ... good call "cbrown" .... unfortunately I can not be bothered any more AFTER I pay for ALL THE TOP QUALITY FEED --- get 'phone calls that their 'credit card is stolen - so I can't pay this month' . . . . when I GET THE SHITS AFTER 6 WEEKS MIND YOU (keep hounding them on the 'phone) - Me still feeding their horse(s) - they eventually turn up and say I am a bitch?

They are paddocked by day and yarded by night and fed and wormed! Trails arena the works - NOOOOO - No more - and I am still owed!

Lots of great suggestions already. I'll add:

Check out the social environment, as you'll most likely be spending a lot of time there. Agistment and horses cost a lot of money, so you want it to be a place that meets your needs in every way.

Nothing worse than finding yourself amongst incompatible horse owners. Sure you can keep to yourself if you're not that comfortable conversing, but it makes an enormous difference if you're surrounded by like minded enthusiasts.

I've agisted at a place where the owner organised weekend trail rides, beach rides and arena parties, lol. There was a communal BBQ near the wash bay, and most people shared gear, tips and advice. There were always agisters loitering about in the breezeway, having a bit of a laff. Newbies were warmly welcomed but afforded their privacy. You could confidently approach anyone for advice... Over all it was lovely place to spend your Sunday's

In stark comparison, I've also agisted at a place where everyone looked sideways at eachother, were terribly competitive and guarded, engaged in bully type behaviour in the arena (arena rage)?, gossip galore, intimidating cliques, theft.... I used to turn up, keep my head down, ride quickly and go home. The facilities were second to none, but the atmosphere was a little too prickly.

Just a thought!

That's exactly what I mean about some people (and places) being very snooty and stuck up! No thankyou!! I want to be around genuine people who love their horses and love to ride. I look forward to being arounf like minded people - and people who can share advice and tips, and to not be at some snooty place or where it's all spoiled teenagers (no offence) who think they know more than you just because mummy and daddy bought them a horse when they were 10 and have been riding ever since. Ughhhh

Also, I love your name 'Estrella' - I'm sure you know it means 'star' in spanish?! Nice

We've agisted for about 6 years on the coast - since TD got her first pony.
    We are now at our 4th place and I can't see us ever moving while we still have a horse. The facilities are excellent, the owners professional and helpful and the other agistor's very friendly. Our horse is hard fed twice daily, rugged/unrugged, wormed, vaccinated and seen to by the farrier. Horse have their own paddock with 'horse' wire and rails and shelter. We have dressage and jump arenas and stables, tack room, wash bay, kitchen, bathroom etc.
    We've been there 12 months now and love it.

I think what it also comes down to is what 'level' of agistment you want. DIY - be within distance to feed/rug your own horse morning and night? Or do you want someone to do it for you? We've done both ways. 2 places who did rugging/feeding and 2 where we did it ourselves.

DIY is fine if it is reasonably close but there are times when you are sick etc or need to be away and you need to find someone else to do it for you. I know people who feed their horses sporadically and it just ain't on as far as I'm concerned. Same with rugs being left on/off because you can't get there to do it.

I found that by the time I drove to the paddock twice a day (20 minutes each way) and then drove to the produce store at least twice a week and lugged bags of feed and hay, as well as having to wait around for the farrier etc etc I was spending almost as much dollar-wise and certainly more time-wise than I am now.

With a new home and a baby you are probably watching your pennies but weigh up the costs of DIY against serviced agistment and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck and have fun with your new horse.
    Cheers
    PIAS

I know where you agist! Who is running it now? (PIAS).

Somebody already mentioned water. After 16 years of agisting at a few different places I would say a reliable water source is top of the priority list.I would always want either a dam in my horse's paddock or an automatic waterer THAT WORKS. I found all too often when you are relying on the property owner to fill water tubs, it so often, just doesn't happen.

You can arrive at the paddock to find your horses water tub empty, you turn the tap on and find that no ones bothered to pump water from the dam into the tank, so nothing comes out of the hose...hoses are missing or leaking etc (this can happen at the most ritzy of agistment centres....you'd be surprised!)

Rubbish in the paddocks eg: rusty car parts, broken glass and of course barbed wire fences are other no no's.

Make sure there is some sort of contact list on a communal notice board at the property where all agistees can leave their contact details.
    Been at places where the property owner is the only one with all of the agistees contact details. This is a problem if you find someones horse is sick,and you can't get hold of property owner to let the horse owner know. If there is some sort of contact list like this, it's all so a good sign that everyone gets along OK.

Always pay your agistment on time, help out where you can and respect the owners rules, property and privacy. You WILL need to call in a favour at some time and if you've done the right thing by the owner they will be wonderfully helpful and generous.

A storage area for your feed and some gear is good too. You get so sick of lugging that stuff in the car!

Good too, if they put a limit on the number of horses they allow per paddock. You don't want over crowded paddocks.

Yes, there can be some difficult people, but I've found there are far more lovely people with whom you make fantastic long lasting friendships. I finally now have my own property(YAY!!) but miss my agistment friends!

A contract to say who is responsible for what and what happens etc when things go wrong so that everyone is covered and we don't get the posts that say "I'm fighting with my agistment owners, what do I do", so get everything in writing.

But everyone above has some really good tips on what is required/needed/wanted in agistment.

Hedgy (who is doing the agistment search herself atm)
    “Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka or gin in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO what a ride!”

My number one tip - An agistee who really truly cares about the horses and not the amount of $$$ they can make. If you have that then you will have the rest.