Thread: Budget kids stock saddle suggestions for a roly-poly pony with no wither & short back

Default Budget kids stock saddle suggestions for a roly-poly pony with no wither & short back

Hi there Iím a long time reader and love all the info in this forum but Iíve never posted before. Hoping you might be able to help me with some information. I need to start this post by saying I am looking for suggestions that will give us the best compromise for both horse comfort/wellbeing and rider safety with a virtually zero budget until next year. Because of the budget factor I know itís going to be a compromise.

We recently received a 13.5hh paint pony. As you all know there is no such thing as a Ďfreeí horse because they immediately start eating and needing things (in this case fly veil with nose cover, zinc sunscreen, ointment, vaccinations, a rug because he was shivering in the rain etc etc). My partner isnít in a position to spend a lot of money on a pony until next year so the timing wasnít right but I knew I could do a lot of the work to get him ready for my 9yo stepdaughter who loves horses but is terrified of my very trustworthy but much larger horse.

After just a four weeks work he has turned into the best little horse we are so impressed with him. I rode him for the first 10 days in a borrowed stock saddle (a Syd Hill synthetic 16Ē) because I wanted something light (he was lugging me around I didnít need to add any extra weight) and secure (I have no desire to fall off and break anything). This was a reasonable safety compromise for me riding an unknown horse in lots of different situations and difficult terrain but I think a 16Ē stock saddle is too long for his little short backÖ just one inch forward and it is restricting his shoulders and ends up slipping even further forward onto his neck as he trots and canters, and an inch backwards and Iím sitting on his rump. We ride in some very hilly terrain and needless to say I have done a lot of resaddling with this compromise solution!

He fits my Wintec all purpose saddle beautifully, and I also have a 16Ē (childís size) all purpose saddle with a wide gullet that fits him perfectly. Now that Iím confident about how heís going to react in all situations an all purpose saddle is not an issue for me.

My problem is my stepdaughter has only ever ridden in a stock saddle. Sheís a reasonable rider (wish my seat was that naturally good!) but nervous and goes to pieces at the slightest sign of anything going wrong (the horse not stopping, etc). The all purpose saddles are a great fit for the horse and heís now safe enough that weíre comfortable letting her ride him but Iím worried that if something goes wrong she will more than likely fall out of the all purpose saddle and may never get on a horse again.

I found a childís 15 inch stock saddle on ebay that I thought I would buy for her but from the pictures it looks like itís quite narrow at the back and I donít think that will fit this particular roly poly pony. (FYI heís very solid, quite round and has virtually no wither). Ebay is a good cheap option but itís so hard to buy a saddle sight unseen and hope that it will fit the horse.

Thanks in advance for your help

Buy this saddle ... it will fit ANYTHING

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aussie-Kids-S...item4cf27a86ca

I had 2x of them for my kids, a 13" & a 14" .... sold them on e-Bay for @ $600 each when my kids didn't want to ride anymore.

I used these saddles on everthing from fat barrel type welshies to QH's, stock horse & VERY fat appylooser

Brilliant thanks so much! Knew someone would have some personal experience which makes the ebay experience a bit less risky! I'll bid on it tomorrow fingers crossed nobody else does...

Quote Originally Posted by arinoneko View Post
    I'll bid on it tomorrow fingers crossed nobody else does...
    DON'T BID on it ... you will just drive up the price !!!

Wait until the last 15 seconds of the listing & 'snipe' your maximum bid ... sellers HATE 'snipers' .... but it is the only way you will get a bargain

Smile

haha I don't trust our satellite internet to cope with doing anything in 15 seconds but I'll aim for the last minute tomorrow morning