Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new horse - Opinions?

I would investigate why they think she is best suited to person with some experience- to bring out her potential etc??

Ask ask ask.. why.

Then really be honest about how you ride and your experience.

I'm horse shopping at the moment and the ad makes her sound delightful!
    I wouldn't buy her on that photo though because you can't tell what her rump is like and if she is OTT then I would be really keen to see more photos and at different angles just to make sure all is as it should be. BTW did you get a vet check??
    Love the name, love the colour!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    I would investigate why they think she is best suited to person with some experience- to bring out her potential etc??

Ask ask ask.. why.

Then really be honest about how you ride and your experience.
    This statement is a little redundant, as every horse would be best suited to some person with experience to bring out their potential. I am selling my horse, and although he is very straight forward and quiet, if you aren't very experienced then you wont get him going well. That's just my experience anyway.
    Horse selling and buying; number one on the list of importance is be honest, from both sides. What's the point of fluffing through and not being honest, the horse isn't going to be suitable and you will just waste each others time.

Sometimes people put that when they know it has a few interesting habits IMHO.
    One that is likely to test the riders skill.

If all the sellers were honest, how easy would it be to buy that perfect horse, alas we all sit on different opinions of what is what.

That's why looking for that perfect horse is always the pits!!!
    I said that about my horse in his ad, and it's the truth. I had so many suepr nervous inexperienced riders come to look at him. He didn't do a thing wrong, but he was strung out and not on the bit. I wish all horse sellers were as honest as I have been about mine. Having said that, there wasn't much to be honest about, he is very sweet. Hopefully these circumstances are the same. If this add is honest, then this horse seems fantastic. That said, a horse is only as good as the person that's on it; I have known some of the quietest horses to go mad with different riders.

FF if you think this is bad grammar:
    "Honey is a sweet 7 yo thoroughbred mare,Who always tries her hardest to please.She has began her dressage training and has good laterals established. She has jumped up to one metre and is brave and has a lovely jump .She is quiet to handle in every way, she is a pleasure to float/catch comes when called, and shoe She doesn't take much effort to keep weight on and look in show condition She is up to date with worming ,shoeing and vaccinations. She has had beginners through to experienced riders and is quiet and adaptable to all levels. Has placed in hacking and sporting, and doesn't get fizzy. First competition the hack judge commented her having lots of potential in this area . She is lovely and soft onto the bit and very easy to ride. Honey would be best suited to someone who has had a bit of experience to bring out her full potential as she is still learning. She would make a great pony club/interschool horse for a intermediate/experienced junior She is for sale due to not enough time to bring out her full potential"

I hate to tell you but there are a whole lot worse out there!

In fact dealers come in all shapes and sizes- they are not all literary experts nor are they all pig ignorant illiterate tralier trash. What they usually all are is very good at writing an ad which describes a much desired horse- but-has some underlying tone which sets alarm bells off if you have been around a long time. Honeys ad may well be legit, but, I would want to ask more questions before I was satisfied exactly who I was dealing with. If they are all above board then they have nothing to hide and all is well

Unfortunately I know a dealer fairly well and what he can put in an ad is unbelievable- if you read between the lines he has covered himself reasonably well, but - it is well disguised that the horse may (does) have issues and that a experienced rider is preferred to bring out the best and further educate the horse

I'm not offering an opinion on whether the ad, the seller or the horse are genuine; however from the photo, the mare looks lovely. From the description, she sounds lovely. People often have more horses than they have time. Young people often have to sacrifice their riding for their studies.

Unless you have a genuine beginners' "schoolmaster", no horse is going to go particularly well with a nervous, inexperienced, tentative person aboard, no matter how good their intentions. I imagine a lot of people would be disappointed to sell a good horse, needing further education to achieve its best, to a beginner who was about to stuff it up.
    Inexperienced riders can unwittingly and unintentionally stuff up a lot of good horses, and then it's the horse, it's breeding, its breeders or sellers that often get the blame.... when it's actually Pilot Error.

So what I'm saying is that you simply can't tell what this mare is like, or will be like, unless you see her and try her.
    So good luck with your search.
    "God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses"

I can't believe I am saying this about an orange, but...........This horse is a really, really nice chestnut.

She looks GORGEOUS!!! I love her colour and everything in the description of her sounds amazing. Best of luck with her, you two will go far!

Chiara, is this a horse you have looked at? Vet checked? Made an offer? Or are you considering looking at it?

Your thread title made it sound as if you have bought her but your subsequent posts and the fact that the only description is from an ad seem to indicate that that is not the case? Is there a smidge of "teenage daydreaming" going on here?

Regardless, she looks beautiful and sounds great but you need to really ride her and try her to know if she's going to suit you. We can give our opinion but a photo can't give the whole picture. It is still a lovely photo and looks like a lovely mare. I hope it works out for you.